Grading System Advantages
Advantages of Grading System
The New Scheme of Grading has been introduced with the aim that :
- It will minimize misclassification of students on the basis of marks.
- It will eliminate unhealthy competition among high achievers.
- It will reduce societal pressure and will provide the learner with more flexibility.
- It will lead to a focus on a better learning environment Operational
- It will facilitate joyful and stress free learning.
My friends who have got 71 or 75 marks will be awarded the same grade. I feel this is unfair. In what ways are grades better than marks?
Awarding of grades has number of advantages over awarding of numerical marks. It considerably reduces inter and intra examiner’s variability in marking.
It also takes care of imperfection of tools used for assessment. Statistical research in assessment techniques indicates that there is a possibility of variation of scores awarded to individuals to the extent of to 15%.
Putting students of similar potential in same ability bands (grades) automatically takes care of all these aberrations in assessment techniques.
Lastly, it will reduce undesired and unsound comparison of small difference of marks.