iCBSE.com will not be updated for some time, meanwhile visit cbse.nic.in
bullet CBSE > > Career As A Child Counsellor

Career as a Child Counsellor

Child Counselor

A child counsellor provides counselling on a variety of problems and disorders, such as relationship issues, depression due to (amity issues, exam-related anxiety and learning difficulties such as dyslexia. S/ho can also provide career guidance. Often these counsellors need to counsel parents, too. to address the root cause of a problem. Child counsellors also work in hospitals. They can practise independently, too feedback on some students 10.30 am: Two life skills periods 11.40 am: Introductory sessions with a student 12.05 pm: Write a daily report 2 pm: Lunch 3-4.30 pm: Call up parents for appointments, follow-up discussions. Face-to-face session with a parent 4.45pm: Lights off for the day Salary Normally, child counsellors in schools are in the TGT/ PGT pay bracket. A senior school counsellor, with an MA degree in psychology and a PG diploma in guidance and counselling, can draw about 17,000 a month. On average, a PGT-scale counsellor with a PG degree and three years’ experience can earn about Rs 25.000 to 30,000 a month in a big Delhi school. In a private hospital, a fresh clinical psychologist with an MPhil degree can make about Rs 30,000 a month. However, much depends on your expertise SKILLS
  • Excellent communication skills, especially listening
  • Interpersonal skills
  • Empathy
  • Open mindedness and objectivity to deal with the child neutrally
  • Ability to win trust to establish rapport with the client
  • Sensitive and non-intrusive
  • A strong sense of ethics
HOW DO I GET THERE? Though you may opt for any subject combination at the plus-two level to be eligible for a Bachelor’s in psychology, it’s considered preferable to take science (physics, chemistry, biology) with psychology. (Some schools offer psychology in senior school.) After that do your graduation and Master’s in psychology and/or a PG diploma in guidance and counselling. For better career prospects, you may do MPhil/PhD. Those wanting to work with disabled children require a licence from Rehabilitation Council of India INSTITUTES
  • Delhi University (for psychology) www.du.ac.in
  • Indira Gandhi National Open University (certificate in guidance) www.ignou.ac.in
  • Most universities offer degrees in psychology
  • Growing need for counselling in the country
  • Great joy in seeing a depressed soul walk out happy Irom your room (though not after just one session)
  • Job options still limited largely to big cities
  • In schools, you may have to step-in as substitute teacher
  • Initial salary is not high