Donate a Book
United Nation Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNSECO) in partnership with the Times Foundation has launched an initiative ‘Donate a Book
‘ which aims to increase the strength of books in the school libraries by receiving voluntary donations from children, parents and teachers. The initiative also aims to provide an opportunity to children who may not have the privilege of books and reading materials in appropriate numbers. Simultaneously, the initiative will also encourage reading habits and literature appreciation in children to encourage the increased use of books and reading materials.Goals and Objectives of the Initiative.
- Build and supplement the resource pool of books and reference material for schools across the regional languages.
- Increase the number of available books and reference material in schools and resource centres.
- Encourage reading habit among children.
- Encourage reading and appreciation of Literature in schools
- Facilitate the creation of mobile book libraries.
- Encourage local commitment to stronger community ties.
The initiative will primarily be restricted to CBSE schools
in Delhi and NCR region, however a parallel activity -Kitabkhana, Mussoorie-Dehradun Children’s Literature Festival will be organized from July 30th
to September 29th
, 2010 for schools in Dehradun and Mussorrie.The ‘Donate a Book
‘ initiative activities will be held at Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore also in the first two weeks of November.As part of the Donate a Book initiative, activities for promotion of reading will be held in association with Delhi Public Library twice a week.Schools that wish to partner in this initiative will have to:
- Sign a partnership agreement
- Brief staff, parents and children about the initiative
- Put boxes for donation in school premises
- Collect books (old or new, but in good condition) on a voluntary basis
- Collect reading books meant for children between the age group of 3-17 years.
- Nominate a staff member to be the nodal person to keep a monthly inventory of all books received o
- Share the inventory on a monthly basis with UNESCO
- Initiate reading sessions in consultation and with assistance from UNESCO
- Identify a local school/NGO working with children as a donor either in their vicinity or otherwise in consultation with UNESCO or on a recommendation from UNESCO
- Regularly sort out books and classify for keeping in their libraries and/or for donation, keeping an inventory for the same.
- Distribute books to the identified school/NGO.
- Donate the annually weeded off books from their libraries to the initiative.
It is expected that all school in Delhi, NCR, Dehradun, Mussorrie, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, and Mumbai (affiliated to CBSE) will join CBSE, UNESCO and Times Foundation in this initiative to encourage reading habits and literature appreciation in children to promote increased use of books and reading materials.