Career In Civil Engineering
Career in Civil Engineering
CIVIL engineers design and build the infrastructure of a civilisation such as highway systems, bridges, skyscrapers, airports, power plants, railways, water treatment and distribution systems, and even cities themselves. Civil engineering is offered in polytechnics as a diploma course. Most of the established engineering colleges in the country offer degree courses in civil engineering.
Civil engineering can be the foundation of a variety of specialisations at the post graduate (ME/ MTech) level, including Building Science and Technology, Construction Engineering and Management, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering.
Advancements in science and technology make it feasible to design, construct, and operate buildings that are ever more diverse in function and shape as well as more energy-efficient and responsive to occupants’ needs. Building science and technology teaches the application of scientific methods and state-of-the-art technologies in order to address the multi-faceted challenges posed by high-performance and sustainable buildings.
Construction engineering and management develops knowledge, tools, and methods for adding value to construction projects and organisations.
Earthquake engineering is an area of multi-disciplinary study. It has long been established mainly within the scope of structural engineering and geotechnical engineering, but can include construction materials as well.
Environmental engineering is concerned with the control and improvement of natural surroundings using scientific and engineering principles. It covers air pollution, land management, radiation protection, water supply, solid waste, hazardous waste management, toxic materials control, wastewater management and public health.
Geotechnical engineering is a discipline of civil engineering that deals with soil, rock and underground water, and their relation to design, construction and operation of engineering projects. It is also sometimes called soils engineering, ground engineering or geotechnics as it is closely related to engineering geology. In soil mechanics and foundation engineering the engineering properties of the geological materials soil and rock are studied as well as methods of designing foundations on these materials.
Hydraulic and water resources engineers (Hydrotechnical engineers) are concerned with the analysis of water and other fluids, with flow characteristics, and with the design of machines and structures for fluid containment, control and distribution.
They work on projects related to water distribution systems, ports and harbours, dams, and irrigation and canal systems.Water resources engineers are also involved in many of the areas of coastal engineering such as wave analysis, coastal sediment transport and maritime hydraulics structures.
Municipal engineers deal with the engineering tasks required by municipal or local governments. These include water treatment and distribution, sewage collection and treatment, solid waste disposal, repairs and maintenance of municipal roads and bridges, and snow removal planning. This requires that they must have a good understanding of the science and engineering of many different areas within civil engineering.
The diversity within civil engineering creates a wide choice of careers.
- • Delhi Technological (formerly Delhi College of Engineering), New Delhi (www.dce.edu)
- BTech, MTech (Civil) (Structure/ Environment/ Hydraulic & Flood Control Engg/ Geotechnical Engg)
- • IIT Delhi (www.iitd.ac.in/ deptt/civil/courses.html)
BTech, MTech in Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering/ Structure Engineering/ Water Resources Engineering/Rock Engineering & Underground S t r u c t u re s / C o n s t r u c t i o n Engineering and Management/ Environmental Engineering and M a n a g e m e n t / C o n s t r u c t i o n Technology & M a n a g e m e n t / T r a n s p o r t at i o n Engineering
- • Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (www.jmi.ac.in/Fengg/Civil.htm)- BTech Civil/ MTech Env Sc & Engg
- • Andhra Vishakhapatnam (www.andhrauniversity.info/)
- • Anna , Chennai (www.annauniv.edu/)
- • Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi (www.bitmesra.ac.in)
- • Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani (www. bitsadmission.com/hd)
- • College of Engineering, Pune (COEP) (www.coep.org.in)
- • IIT Bombay (www.civil.iitb.ac.in/a_c.html)
- • IIT Kanpur (www.iitk.ac.in/ce/CIVIL/pgspecialization.htm)
- • Indian Institute of Kharagpur (www.iitkgp.ac.in)
- • Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (www.iitg.ernet.in/)
- • IIT Madras, Chennai (www.iitm. ac.in)
- • IIT Roorkee (www.iitr.ac.in/)
- • Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (www.iith.ac.in)
- • Harcourt Butler Technology Institute, Kanpur (www.hbti.ac.in)
- • Manipal , Manipal (www.manipal.edu)
- • Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur (www.mnit.ac.in)
- • Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal (www.manit.ac.in)
- • Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (www.mnnit.ac.in)
- • Nirma of Science & Technology, Ahmadabad (www.nirmauni.ac.in)
- • National Institute of Technology Calicut (www.nitc.ac.in)
- • National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (www.nitkkr.ac.in)