IGNOU-UNESCO Science Olympiad
Last Date: Aug., 1, 2010
1. The test for Science Olympiad will be conducted on 2-Tier basis.
2. First Tier test:
- The First Tier test shall be taken by all participants in the respective centres chosen by them.
- This First Tier test is an objective test for 3 hrs with equal weight for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in terms of test time and marks.
- It is made up of multiple choice questions with varying degree of simplicity/ hardness.
- The test will focus on the general but deep understanding of subject materials and comprehension.
- The test items will be thought provoking.
- There will be negative marking for wrong choices.
- Answers are to be marked on OMR sheets for ready reckoning of marks.
Second Tier Test:
- From among the participants the top (about 30 to 40 meritorious students from all SAARC countries) will take the second Tier test by being invited to Delhi.
- It will test the participant’s higher level of understanding and problem solving capability.
- Each question may take 5-10 minutes again with equal weight for M,P,C,B.
- Also there will be a question on broader understanding of science and society, which is restricted to 10-15 minutes.
- The total duration for this test will be 3 hrs
- This test will be held in IGNOU, New Delhi.
5. Medium of Test : The medium of objective and written test will be English.
General Instructions for Registration
Registration for participation in this SCIENCE OLYMPIAD will be On-line in the given format.
Before applying for registration read the contents of the website carefully.
If you fulfill the eligibility criteria
- Keep ready a scanned image of your recent photograph in Passport Size.
- Before registration, Indian Candidates applying individually must keep ready a Demand Draft of Indian Rupees 50/- (fifty only) from any bank payable to “Raman Chair, IGNOU, New Delhi” OR keep ready your credit card details if payment is to be made using a credit card .
- If applying for a group(Institution) the fee amount in multiple of Rupees 50/- for the candidates in the group may be submitted in the form of a single Demand Draft. Send the list of candidates mentioning their names and Registration No along with the consolidated Demand Draft.
- Candidates belonging to Afghanistan, BanglaDesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Srilanka need not to pay any fees. Their fee will be paid by the respective UNESCO National Commissions.
- Start filling up the details and upload the photograph as per the instructions thereon.
- After all information are typed, activate the registration by pushing ‘FINISH” and wait for a moment.
- You will get a confirmed Registration / Hall Ticket. Download the form which contains details including your photo.
- If you have paid it by DD , immediately send it along with a copy of your Registration Form BY POST to the following address:
Head, Sir C. V. Raman Chair,
School of Sciences , IGNOU,
Maidan Garhi, New Delhi 110068, India
As soon as DD is received by the Raman Chair, your Registration will be confirmed in this Website, you can take the Print-Out of the Confirmation of your Registration.
Those who have paid their Registration fees by Bank Draft, they can check the Registration Confirmation Status by clicking the Button “Registration Status” on the Home Page of this Website.
Notification in Websites and News papers
June 02, 2010
Last date for Registration by Participants through Schools
July 25, 2010
Announcement of the locations of Examination Centres for Tier- I Test in this Website
August 05, 2010
Test Tier I (Objective Test): 10:00 am-1:00pm,
August 22, 2010
Announcement of Tier-I Test Results
September 30, 2010
Top 30 to 40 performer-students to reach IGNOU, New Delhi
Nov. 12, 2010
Written Test for all 30 to 40 Meritorious: 10:00am-1:00pm
Talk by 5 toppers: 4 – 5:15 pm
Distribution of Prizes and Awards: 10:30 am
Prizes & Awards
- Top performing 1000 participants in the first tier test from all SAARC countries will receive Merit Certificates certified by both IGNOU and UNESCO citing the percentile of performance, an indication of their standing and potential in science.
- About 30 to 40 most meritorious participants from all SAARC countries will receive medals and cash prize (quantum to be estimated soon) in an award ceremony in IGNOU, New Delhi. They will be provided full local hospitality and travel expenses.
- The 5 most meritorious performers from Tier II test in Delhi will receive additional awards in cash or kind. They will again receive these awards in the same award ceremony.
Students should currently (2010-2011 academic year) be enrolled at the 11th Standard/Class level in a higher Secondary School in India or its equivalent in Afghanistan, Bangladesh., Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
- Students must have appeared and passed in the science branch (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology i.e. MPCB or their equivalent) at their 10th Standard/Class (or its equivalent) final Examination and have scored a minimum of 70%. E.g. If your scores are M=80%; P=75%; C=65% and B=70% average score is 72.5% and you are eligible to participate.If your Scores are in grades as is prevalent in some school board, it should be B1 and higher. In case, PCB is considered as a single Science subject, then the average will be between mathematics and science. Example M=85% Science=75% Average Score =80 % , Candidate becomes eligible
Register Online: http://scienceolympiad.ignou.ac.in/REGForm.aspx
- CBSE Group Mathematical Olympiad (GMO)
- Indian National Mathematical Olympiad (INMO)
- International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO)
- International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)
- Junior Mathematics Olympiad (JMO)
- Junior Science Olympiad (JSO)
- Junior Science Talent Search (JSTS) Exam
- National Cyber Olympiad (NCO)
- National Informatics Olympiad (NIO)
- National Science Olympiad (NSO)
- Zonal Informatics Olympiad (ZIO)